Friday, June 8, 2007

the adventures of Satanbot

Da, da DA!

Its not a comic book character, its a computer program. Rayan has been very excited to show me his new "bot" -a program he created for use within (yes, you guessed it) Runescape. Originally, Satanbot, as he calls it, was designed as a sort of mini search-engine. Characters on Runescape have the option of battling against other characters, under certain conditions. What Satanbot does is to look up the stats of other characters so Rayan can decide if he wants to fight them or not. Clever. Next I suspect he'll be looking up others "bank accounts" to see if he wants to trade with them.

He's mostly cutting and pasting code at this point, but still, he's learning which bits of code do what and starting to get a feel for the overall patterns. I'm impressed - I'm still struggling to find what I want in HTML. Of course, I'm not spending hours a day studying it. Yeah, that's right, Mr. "School Sucks" is spending hours at a time Studying something. I'm so tickled.


Satanbot, in addition to its utility as a search engine, is also part of a "channel" Ray's created - sort of a chat-room within Runescape. Since the game itself is "family friendly" its strictly moderated against profanity, which Ray finds irksome. But he doesn't want to get his @ss kicked off either. Finally he has another option. The channel, known as "antichrist", is linked to Runescape in some way I don't understand, but separate from the game. So the chatees can cuss to their hearts content and talk about whatever they want. Satanbot acts as a sort of "host" on the channel - I've seen this but, honestly, I'm not getting all the details - and greets those who log on with a friendly "What the Fuck do You want?" I'm so proud. He's found a way to get what he wants without breaking any rules. Fiendishly clever.

Da, da DA! Satanbot!

No comments: